Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ribbons

One of the favorite pranks we used to play during the eight standard was "hide the ribbon". Ribbons used to be a part of our school uniform and not having them on could result in a fine. Hence pulling it off someone's hair when they were not watching was a sport. Shilpa and I could practise this sport with great impunity as both of us had short cropped hair - which meant neither of us had to wear ribbons - which meant we had nothing to lose!

Poor Prasanna, who used to wear two pig-tails, often used to be the victim. Shilpa and I used to be towards the end of the line of students of our class during assembly as we both were tall compared to most of our other classmates (I think I was tallest in class, I don't remember exactly). Prasanna, though shorter, used to pretend to be otherwise so that we could all stand together and yack :-)! She mostly used to stand just in front of Shilpa and taking away the ribbon was a piece of cake.

So one day, after doing the usual ribbon-snatching, Shilpa and I came up with the brilliant idea that I should tie the ribbon to the nail at the top of the window when Prasanna was not watching. So, during the lunch break, I climbed onto the desk (yes, it was not possible to reach the nail otherwise) and tied it to the nail. Then S and I sat down again and waited for P.

Sure enough, P discovered the loss of her ribbons and demanded where they was. By then, the Chemistry class after lunch had already commenced. Both S and I said innocently swore that we did we did not have it with us. Obviously, P was skeptical and prodded us some more. Finally, we both burst into silent giggles and pointed towards the nail with its ribbons!

Now, P was in a mad mood that day for some reason and wanted her ribbons back immediately. Before we could blink, she had marched up to the Chemistry teacher and asked her whether she could get her ribbons. The teacher who was checking something in the book absently said yes.

So Prasanna, returned to the back of the class and before our amazed eyes, climbed onto the desk and started reaching for the ribbons. Which was when the chemistry teacher looked up. And practically shouted "Why on earth are you standing on that desk?"

P coolly said "You said I could retrieve my ribbons".

So the Chemistry teacher went "Yesssss...but I did not say you could climb desks".

P reasonably said "But I can't get my ribbons without climbing the desk" and pointed to the ribbons hanging on the nail.

S and I knew what the next question would be. Sure enough, it came from the Chem teacher "Who on earth put those ribbons there?". Our throats went dry as S and I waited with bated breath.

Gathering up the most innocent and artless of all expressions on her face, P said meekly, "I don't know ma'am. But I recognized them as my ribbons."

Beaten, the Chemistry teacher said "Fine. But you can't climb the desk now to get them. Get them later."

Haven't I mentioned before? S, P and me were (and still are) good friends! And good friends don't tell tales :-)!

P did retrieve them later - I still can't believe she actually clambered onto a desk in the middle of a class. I can recall the image in my head still :-))!

2 Comments:

At 3:40 AM , Blogger Shilpa said...

LOL wonder y P was so keen on getting the ribbons ? I mean...she could hv waited for a break..!

But then its P...u never know what she would do next ! We shd tell abt this to Mahima when she grows up !

I think we used to bug P a lot in 8th std...she even cried once !

 
At 3:47 AM , Blogger Prasanna said...

LOL! archu, oh god this is soo funny...I remember all that pranks that u girls played on me....paavam ya naanu :0)

Ya sure, one day I will show all these blogs to Mahima and tell her what a sad thing her mom was to get bullied by two tomboys.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home